40 Days To Purpose
Whenever God wanted to prepare someone for His purpose, He took 40 days. So the power of fours is a real thing. Interestingly, the bible is full of transformations that happen in increments of four. The reason I began this 40-day challenge is that I want to make a shift in my life. Judging by the biblical company I keep in this endeavor – I think I’m in good company.
- 40 days of rain transformed Noah’s life.
- 40 days on Mount Sinai transformed Moses.
- 40 days of spying on the Promised Land transformed Joshua & Caleb.
- Goliath’s 40-day challenge transformed David.
- God transformed Elijah when He gave him 40 days of strength from a
- The entire city of Nineveh was transformed when God gave the people
40 days to change.
- Jesus was empowered by 40 days in the wilderness.
- The disciples were transformed by 40 days with Jesus after his
I have a list of 40 bible verses to memorize paired with a 40-day biblical overview. Actually, I have a list of about 70 verses I’d like to review and/or memorize, but the first 40 are for this challenge. The plan is to combine a 40-day fast of types as well. The fast can be variable – either abstention from one thing or another, daylight fast, intermittent fasting, one meal a day, or water fast. The point isn’t to stick to a particular type of fast, but to keep the fast discipline.
What do I hope to get out of this exercise?
My main goal is to improve my relationship with God and have a renewed focus on God’s purpose for my life. I want to strengthen my prayer life. And, I would like to work through a biblical renewal for my kids. Finally, because of the discipline of fasting, I’m hoping for increased health. I’d love to have you join me and know what your goals are too!
Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.